Protein Food that Can Help Burn Fat
Including foods with protein in every meal and snack is essential for weight and fat loss. Protein containing foods help to make you feel fuller for longer period of time, preventing blood sugar spikes and dips.
This helps decrease afternoon cravings for sugar and ultimately an overall decrease in fat. One thing to remember with protein is to not overdo it. Most people consume far more protein than is required, which can't be used by the body and places pressure on the kidneys to work to excrete it from the body. Try to keep to around 0.7oz of protein every 3 hours as this is the amount that the body can effectively metabolize.
The following foods are all good protein sources to be included in meals and snacks:
- Lean meat, although energy dense is important in the diet for the provision of iron and zinc. Keep the portion to no more than 5oz per serving.
- Chicken, similar to red meat, although usually leaner cuts.
- Eggs provide 6g of protein per egg and are great as a meal or hard boiled as a snack.
- Nuts and seeds have an excellent nutrition profile and include good fats, they are also convenient as a snack or in cereals and salads. Keep a snack serve to 0.7oz-1oz.
- Cheese is an excellent source of calcium and a quick and easy snack. Keep the portion to 1oz-1.5oz.
- Yogurt, especially with reduced sugar is great as a snack or with breakfast. Yogurt contains probiotics, which help restore the good bacteria in the gut.
- Milk, similar to cheese is a satisfying calcium source. Ensure that non-dairy milks are fortified with calcium and protein if being used as a milk replacement.
- Legumes are a good alternative to meat, while still packing a protein punch plus loads of dietary fiber for gut health, but keep to ½ cup portions due to the carb load.
- Fish, especially oily fish, such as salmon, tuna and sardines contain essential fatty acids.
- Tofu is a vegetarian protein that can be used in many meals in place of meat and it is also low carb.